People start forming an opinion of others within seconds of seeing them for the first time. First impressions are important. Here are some tips to help you make a good impression instantly. You know some of them but we guarantee that you will find something useful in our list.
- Your grandma was right when she told you to sit up straight. Not only is it healthier but you will come across as a more alert, confident and productive person.
- When you meet someone for the first time, give them a warm smile. This is something everyone should practice. Close your eyes and picture a favorite person then imagine them smiling, you’ll feel your face melt into a warm smile. That’s the kind of smile you need to share with people when you first meet them.
- Your tone of voice says a lot about how you are feeling and sets the mood for your interaction. When you say hello to people, you want to sound confident, happy and friendly. Listen to yourself say hello to people you like and then use that same tone with people you meet.
- Maintain open body language by keeping your arms relaxed so you’ll seem more approachable and friendly. It will help you build rapport and make it easier for you to get along with the interviewer.
- Also, a confident hand shake is important, but don’t confuse that with a crushing grip. As you reach for each the other person’s hand, grasp the offered hand as if you were picking up a glass of water.
Keep these ideas in your toolkit, as they will help you beyond the interview with coworkers, clients and new friends. You’ve only got a moment to make that first impression. Setting a good tone right from the beginning can go a long way.